Map of Yavatmal
Yavatmal is located in the Vidarbha region of the eastern part of the state. The land offers a wide magnitude of natural diversity with river valleys bordering drier plateau. Two main rivers flow down the region – Penganga and Wardha with their many rivulets framing this land of Cotton and Jowar.
The fragmentary ranges of Ajanta hill run through this terrain surrounded by Amravati district in north, Wardha district in north-east, Chandrapur district in east, Nanded district and Andhra Pradesh in south, Hingoli district in south-west and Washim district in west.
With a reference to Mahabharata Yavatmal was ruled by the legendary king Vidarbha. Around 272-231 BC the district was under the Mauryan rulers and later under the Satavahana, the Vataka, the Chalukya, the Rashtrakuta, the Yadava, the Bahmani, the Nizam Shahi, the Mughals, the British and the Nizam of Hyderbad. The district is now fully developing with its multi-lingual and multi cultural ethnography.
Yavatmal district is full of ancient temples, villages and architecture. The main places of interest of this district are –
- Wani: Shri Raghunath Swamy temple and coalmines attract many tourists all round the year.
- Kalamb: This is an ancient village with underground Chintamani temple, Ganesh kunda water-tank, Chakravati River and seasonal fair of Shri Chintamani.
- Jambhora: Two famous temples of Khateswar Maharaj and Datta Mandir are situated here.
- Kapeswar: Peinganga River creates a hot water spring making favorite tourists’ spot.
- Yavatmal town: The unity in diversity is reflected in the pious Jagat temple with Khojochi mosque.
- Tipeshwar sanctuary of wild life: The wide area of this sanctuary of Pandarkawada Tehsil is rich in its diverse classes of flora.
- Sanctuary of Paniganga: The low undulating soil constructs this wide valley with its wide range of flora and fauna in this sanctuary of Umerkhed Tehsil.
Ahmednagar Akola Alibag Amravati Aurangabad Beed Bhandara Chandrapur Dhule Gadchiroli Gondia Hingoli Jalgaon Jalna Kolhapur Latur Mumbai Nanded Nandurbar Nashik Nagpur Osmanabad Pandharpur Parbhani Pune Ratnagiri Sangli Satara Shirdi Sindhudurg Solapur Thane Wardha Washim Yavatmal
India - Andhra Pradesh - Arunachal Pradesh - Assam - Bihar - Chhattisgarh - Goa - Gujarat - Haryana - Himachal Pradesh - Jammu Kashmir - Jharkhand - Karnataka - Kerala - Madhya Pradesh - Maharashtra - Manipur - Meghalaya - Mizoram - Nagaland - New Delhi - Orissa - Pondicherry - Punjab - Rajasthan - Sikkim - Tamil Nadu - Tripura - Uttarakhand - Uttar Pradesh - West Bengal - India Search Engines - Official India map
MaharashtraWeb.com. Contact Editor